Gear Care & Repair
Are you sick of feathers leaking from your down jacket? Need to fix a burn hole in your puffy? We have a simple fix to rips, tears, and holes in down or nylon jackets, ski pants and snow gloves. From GORE-TEX® rainwear to The North Face® parka, easily patch your favorite waterproof garments without dampening its look or style. All you need is some clear or black nylon repair tape or gear patches.
WASH & DRY
Before making a patch repair, clean down and nylon gear first. Using our Revivex formulas, hardworking ski jackets, pants, and rainwear stay fresh and will continue to protect us from the elements. Read our blog to learn how to wash GORE-TEX fabrics or find out how to wash down jackets so they keep performing at their best.
PEEL-AND-STICK PATCH REPAIR
Estimated Time: 5 minutes
- Clean the repair area with isopropyl alcohol to remove any dirt or body oils that may prevent a good bond. Trim any loose threads or feathers.
- Peel off the backing on a Tenacious Tape Mini Patch or Gear Patch and apply it over the rip, tear, or hole. Patch should overlap tear by 0.5" (12 mm) in all directions.
- Apply pressure from the center out. Smooth out any bubbles and ensure the edges lay flat.
If you do a repair before cleaning the gear, wait at least 24 hours for the Tenacious Tape patch to adhere properly before washing it.
PRO TIP: Make your repair nearly invisible by using clear, black, red or yellow Tenacious Tape to match the fabric. If you’re patching a hardshell jacket, put the patch on the inside.
IRON-ON PATCH REPAIR
- Tenacious Tape GORE-TEX Fabric Patches
- Iron, Hair Dryer, or Machine Dryer
Estimated Time: 15 minutes
When extra strength is required especially for high-wear areas (e.g., cuffs and knees), apply heat on the Tenacious Tape Mini or Gear Patch after application on the outerwear. For repairs on waterproof-breathable fabric that get more moisture and scrapes, use Tenacious Tape GORE-TEX Fabric Patches with heat.
- Clean and dry area to be repaired.
- Peel off GORE-TEX Fabric Patch backing and apply to damaged area.
- Apply pressure from center out to remove air bubbles.
- Set the iron to medium or permanent-press heat. Use moderate pressure and circular motion for 30 seconds to heat evenly.
- (Optional) Instead of an iron, use a hair dryer or tumble the garment in a machine dryer for 30 minutes on regular setting to strengthen the repair patch.
PRO TIP: Cut Tenacious Tape to size by rounding out the edges to prevent the patch from snagging or peeling off before it fully bonds to the fabric.
Keeping down puffy coats, nylon jackets, and GORE-TEX gear in tip-top shape is simple with Tenacious Tape repair patches and Revivex cleaners.